YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, January 8, 2012

How to go to the mall and not shop

Those of you who have mastered the art of minimalism will probably balk at my baby steps. I went to the mall and didn't shop. Why would I do this? Well, I had a couple of watches that I received for Christmas that needed some links removed. I used my lunch break to complete this errand, and resisted the urge to indulge myself in the end-of-the-year sales. I wouldn't consider myself a shopaholic my any means, but I love the rush of getting a good deal and getting myself something pretty. However, it's not a deal if I don't need it! So I focused on my goal, got my links removed and walked myself out of the store as soon as the task was done. And you know what? I felt empowered and didn't have to deal with buyer's remorse.

Although this is a seemingly small feat, for me, it's one step closer to maintaining that key balance. I'm not a person who buys and Escalade on a whim, but I am the type of person who goes to Target for toothpaste and toilet paper, but ends up spending $100 and couldn't tell you on what the next week. It's the small stuff that gets me, but if I can learn to master those impulses, I know that releasing those urges will empower me.

No comments:

Post a Comment